Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Balung Fresh Fruits - Kebun Rimau Sdn Bhd

Datuk Harris Mohd Salleh, one of our former Chief Minister (6th CM of Sabah), has many business ventures and interests. Among his agricultural interests are the growing and processing of various herbs, teas, palm sugar, and noni juice. These can be seen at his Balung Plantation (Tawau). They are claimed to be organically grown and hygienically processed in their own processing plants.

Having seen the various newspaper articles (in the past 6 months or so), I wanted to visit their outlet in Kota Kinabalu and try out some of their products. Their outlet, Balung Fresh Fruits, is located across the road from Giant Hypermart in Kolombong. Note that the location map on their website is incorrect as the shop is in the middle of the block.

The shop front

The shop interior (not much expenditure on interior design and marketing display!)

The 3 Balung products I bought; Java Tea (Misai Kucing Tea), Lemon Grass Tea, and one bottle of the palm sugar (Arenga Pinnata) syrup.
The shop also had Noni Juice (either with passionfruit juice or with mango juice). The Noni Juice is one difficult juice to swallow. My friends told me in their kampung days, no one ate the fruit (it was so bad-tasting); the only use for the fruit was as a throwing missile. The shop staff told me the new mango flavour was better. I tried it, it wasn't much better than the Noni Juice I drank in the past, so I didn't buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment