Monday, May 10, 2010

Borneo Coffee Hills - Grace Square

I had noticed a new shop (quite some months back) opening in Grace Square selling "20 Types of Coffee". Feeling adventurous, I went in there today.

The 20 types are all kinds of flavors (Tongkat Ali, cappucino...); some are not even coffee (Rose Tea, Mint Tea). It seemed "odd" as they had one that said "Green Tea Flavored Coffee"!

I should have been more suspicious. I decided to buy 1 pack of the "Kahue Arabica" thinking that nothing much can be wrong with 100% coffee. I did ask if the coffee was grown locally (I meant in Sabah or Borneo).

After trying out the coffee at home (pretty weak but not acidic), I began to notice a number of "inconsistencies":
  • They charged a lower price for non-foreigners.
  • The label said "coffee powder" instead of "Ground Coffee"
  • It said "Formulated & packed by Daily Recipe Industries (M) Sdn Bhd"
  • What does "Kahue" mean?
Checking on the internet, Daily Recipe Industries (M) Sdn Bhd turned out to be a company in Penang distributing what seems to be the exact same range of "coffees". I doubt the coffee is even grown in Borneo. This seems to be a totally "Touristy" outlet. Caveat Emptor.

No comments:

Post a Comment