Sunday, May 09, 2010

Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Kota Kinabalu

As the Queen Elizabeth Hospital is near to the Sabah Museum, I took a photo of it, on my way to the museum, as it may soon be demolished. The state government website gave the history of this hospital (the main hospital in Kota Kinabalu for many years).

As usual, the info is not up-to-date. The building structure had been found to be unsafe, so it is no longer in use.

It was named the Queen Elizabeth Hospital as Queen Elizabeth II visited Kota Kinabalu in 1971 according to that website. The wikipedia page on the official commenwealth visits by Queen Elizabeth II said that the visit was in 1972.

I do not remember the year, but I do remember going to the Tanjung Aru Beach to take photographs of the event, as part of my school's photographic club. One of the parks at the Tanjung Aru Beach was named Prince Philip Park, in honour of her husband.

I believe they came by their Royal Yacht Britannia. So perhaps their visit to Kota Kinabalu was unofficial in 1971 (stopover), while the official visit in KL was in 1972 after visiting Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment