Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Nyuk Pau Beef Soup (Ngau Chap)

After I passed the town padang, I went up Signal Hill to take a panorama of Kota Kinabalu City Center. Unfortunately the DBKK (City Council) had allowed some trees to grow very tall and obscure part of the view from the Observation Tower.

So I took a partial panorama. It was used for the photo in the header to this blog.

I went down to Kolombong (Nounton Industrial Estate) to Nyuk Pau for Ngau Chap breakfast. He was situated at the end of the second block. An Alliance Bank branch was at the beginning of the first block. The Maybank branch was in front of the Alliance Bank branch.

He started in Menggatal, then he sold the business. Later he re-opened in Menggatal and now he had re-located to Kolombong. He sells only Ngau Chap (Beef in broth; meat & organ meats).

He is very serious about cooking (You Can TELL!). If I remember correctly, a long long time ago, he was selling beef at Tanjung Aru meat market. Then decided to go into the more lucrative prepared food. So he really had the authentic and "kau" broth (in the old shop in Menggatal, he had a giant pot with the broth being prepared from all the beef bones).

It was still good and tasty, but not as "kau" as before. Note that he charges RM7 - 9 per bowl (from small to special). He told me he is open everyday, except for the 5 days beginning from Hari Raya.

Before he opened the stall here, I used to eat the ngau chap at the Yii Siang (shop directly opposite). They sell Hainan Ngau Chap.


Don't Play Play! They appeared on "Ho Chak!" on Astro AEC.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog ! I am your cousin nephew from Singapore (Tze Fatt nephew).

    Really interesting updates on happening in K.K. Missed the Ngua Chap and beef soup.

    Well taken photo too.

    Cheng

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind comment. Johnny knows more about the great food places in KK than I do! I blog only to have a place to put up the photo I took. Photography is my hobby. See you when you are next in KK

    ReplyDelete